Nurse Aide Program (CNA)
REGISTRATION NOW TAKING PLACE FOR
Spring 2020 Nurse Aide Classes
Short-term training that prepares individuals to work as caregivers in a health care setting, such as in a nursing home, hospital, or home health care.
Students will attend a mandatory orientation for 6 hours prior to beginning the Nursing Assistant class.
Register for Fall 2019 classes now!
Students must register in person for NA I classes. Nurse Aide Registration occurs daily from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM Monday-Friday in the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development, Room 308.1. THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE PRESENTED AT TIME OF REGISTRATION. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Bring with you the negative results of tuberculosis (TB) skin test. The TB skin test may take anywhere from 48 - 72 hours for the results to be read. This test is available at a doctor’s office, urgent care or a County Health Department. Each will charge a fee for this test. TB results are good for one year only.
- For all students doing clinical experience at Mission Health Systems, the following immunizations are required prior to registration:
- Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) vaccination, and subsequent booster every ten (10) years
- Measles vaccination, unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity or documentation of physician-diagnosed measles
- Rubella immunization, unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity or documentation of physician-diagnosed rubella
- Mumps immunization, unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity or documentation of physician-diagnosed mumps
- Hepatitis B vaccination series (unless Student signs an appropriate declination form)
- Varicella immunization (chickenpox), unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity or documentation of physician-diagnosed varicella
- Influenza vaccination(s) as required by Mission, for experiences occurring any time between October 1st and March 31st.
- Make sure you have a non-expired, government-issued picture ID, such as a U.S. driver’s license or a U.S. passport, which must be presented at registration.
- Social Security Card must be presented at registration.
- Students will need to provide a High School Diploma/GED or transcripts stating that they have graduated from High School. A completed Bachelor's or Master's Degree will also be acceptable. If unable to provide any of the mentioned documents a free reading test will be required. Reading tests are completed in the Hemlock Building on the Asheville Campus, students must score at the 9th-grade level or better to be able to register for Nurse Aide classes. Please call the Nurse Aide office for directions on how to schedule a reading test-828-398-7878.
- Registration Fee varies from $206.35 - $216.35 depending on the location of the NA I class. (Registration fee includes: Tuition, Supply Fee, Insurance, *Technology fee, and *CAPS fee ).
- Students should bring in exact amount if paying with cash
- Write a check to A-B Tech for the exact amount
- Bring a written authorization for payment from your organizational sponsor or the employer who will pay for your class
- Students may also pay with American Express, Master Card or VISA
- Due to the demand of the Nurse Assistant classes, minors (those between 16 and a half-18 years of age), will be admitted to class per college policy. Exceptions may be made for minors with a High School Diploma or GED at the time of the class. For further information please contact 828-398-7878.
- Finally, bring all the requested items listed above in person only.
If you have any questions regarding these registration procedures, please call 828-398-7878 (Asheville Campus classes) or 828-398-7700 (Sherri Davis for Madison County classes).
The mandatory Nursing Assistant orientation is completed in 6 hours prior to class and is designed to:
- Orient students to the workplace expectations of a Nursing Assistant
- Introduce medical vocabulary and abbreviations
- Raise awareness of the needs of the elderly
- Identify individual reading level required for Nursing Assistants
- Provide development of communication and interpersonal skills needed in today's healthcare workplace
- Provide study skills, including test-taking strategies
- Inform students about the background check/drug screening procedures
Textbooks:Textbook, Workbook, and Handbook are available at A-B Tech's bookstore located at the K. Ray Bailey building. These books should be purchased before Orientation.
- Hartman's Nursing Assistant Care: Long-Term Care, by Susan Alvare Hedman, Jetta Fuzy, RN, MS, and Suzanne Rrymer, MSTE, RN-BC, LSW, Fourth Edition, Hartman Publishing, Inc. 2018.
- Workbook: Hartman's Nursing Care Assistant Care: Long-Term Care, by Hartman Publishing, Inc., Fourth Edition.
- Handbook, Modules for A-B Tech's CNAI class
Tuition and Supply Costs
The following costs are approximate and may change without notice:
Tuition and Books
- Tuition: $180.00
- Insurance: $1.35
- Supply Fee: $25.00
- Technology Fee*: $5.00 (charged for classes at A-B Tech campuses only)
- CAPS Fee*: $5.00 (charged for classes at A-B Tech campuses only)
- Books: $85.00
- Student Handbook: $14.00
- CPR Card: $5.00
Total: $310.35 - $320.35
Registry Exam Fee
- NACES Registry Exam: $120.00
Exam fee is payable by credit/debit only to Pearson Vue.
- Ceil Blue Scrubs Top and Bottom: Approx. $40.00
Scrubs are available for purchase at Read's uniforms or other uniform outlets throughout the city.
- White sneakers, tennis shoes, or uniform shoes should be worn with the Ceil Blue Scrubs.
- If your class location is at Mission, you must wear your uniform at all times (class and clinical). At all other locations (A-B Tech campus, Madison, Goodwill) you will be required to wear the uniform at Clinical site only.
Financial Assistance and Continuing Education Scholarships may be available to you.
- Prior to the clinical experience, a background check and drug screening will be required through Wolfe, Inc.
- In order to take the Nurse Aide State Exam, you will need to have a United States Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration. This must be the actual card, not a photocopy. If you do not have your original card, you can apply for a duplicate at the Social Security Administration Office which is located off Chunns Cove Road in the Center Park Office Complex on Piney Mountain Road. This card cannot be laminated. The name on your picture ID and the social security card must match.
- All classes are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Attendance for all days of orientation is required.
- Attendance for all class days is mandatory, so please check your schedule to make sure you can attend classes as scheduled.
- Class dates are subject to change so please call the NA Office at 828-398-7878 to confirm class availability.
Class Schedule Options:
Day Classes (8 Weeks)
Three days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday; or Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
Classroom hours: 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Clinical hours: 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM
Evening Classes (4.5 Months)
Two evenings per week - (Monday and Wednesday or Tuesdays and Thursday)
Classroom hours: 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Clinical hours: 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM - (7 Saturdays)