Welcome to A-B Tech Nursing
Check out how you can become part of one of the most difficult, demanding, respected, challenging, and rewarding careers in the world!
How to become a licensed registered nurse (RN)
- Associate Degree Nursing Option
This Associate Degree Nursing Option is a five semester program that awards an Associate in Applied Science in Nursing degree. Completion qualifies you to take the licensure exam that is required for practice as a registered nurse. This program is approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing, P.O. Box 2129, Raleigh, NC 27602, (919)-782-3211, www.ncbon.com.
- WNC Regionally Increasing Baccalaureate Nurses (RIBN) Option
- Regionally Increasing Baccalaureate Nurses (RIBN) Option is a four year program and is offered in collaboration with Western Carolina University. An Associate of Applied Science in Nursing is awarded at the end of the third year from A-B Tech and a Baccalaureate in Nursing from Western Carolina University at the end of year four. This program is approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing, P.O. Box 2129, Raleigh, NC 27602, (919)-782-3211, www.ncbon.com.
Nursing Program Mission
The A-B Technical Community College Nursing Education Program strives to meet current and future needs of a diverse population by preparing dedicated, professional, and caring nurses.
The Faculty facilitate and support this mission by:
- Modeling professional behaviors and compassionate nursing practices
- Encouraging and supporting life-long learning
- Promoting competent, innovative, and evidenced based Care
Your selection of Nursing as a program of study carries with it several important responsibilities.
- The nursing student must be committed to the profession. Being a nurse requires self-discipline, physical, mental, and emotional stamina. As you give to others, you must often give a little of your own self. Therefore, if you commit yourself to learning this field, and are not reluctant to give, you may receive much more in return.
- The nursing student must strive for excellence. The importance of providing good health care is paramount. When we, as health care providers, fail in our performance, the patient becomes the loser. Therefore, strive for excellence; our patients deserve our best.
- Begin, even now, to plan for your continuing educational growth. Nursing is an ever-changing science. Advances in the field require new learning and a plan for your educational growth. Therefore, learn now what you can, but never expect to reach the summit of all knowledge in this field.
- The nursing student should not become so overpowered by the technologies and complexities of nursing that he or she forgets the focus of the profession--quality health care for the patient. It is in giving of yourself to your patients and to your profession, that you will reap the fullest pleasure from your practice. Numerous and varied opportunities await the nurse as a healthcare provider. Enjoy the time you spend with each patient now as a student, and later as you practice as a nurse; allow them to be the highlight of your day.
- The responsibilities of the program and the profession are great at times, but the rewards greatly outweigh the challenges that you may encounter.
The Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College Associate Degree Nursing program holds pre-accreditation status from the National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation, located at 2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, Washington, DC, 20037. Holding pre-accreditation status does not guarantee that initial accreditation by NLN CNEA will be received.