Medical Assisting Associate Degree
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2019 for the MA Program.
To get started view this Program Information Presentation!
Summary of Application Period and Process:
- Apply to A-B Tech online at abtech.edu/apply.
- Apply for the Medical Assisting Program at the Bailey Building or by contacting email@example.com.
- The first 25 qualified applicants will be accepted for the A.A.S. Degree; an alternate list will be generated.
- Score at college level on the Accuplacer Placement test or other approved placement assessment (scores must be less than three years old), complete all developmental coursework prior to June 1, 2019 or have transfer credit for college English and math (official transcripts must be submitted). Enrollment in a college level course using Informed Consent does NOT meet the minimum requirements.
- All students will be notified by the department chair in late April regarding admission.
- Allied Health Division Form-Medical Assisting
The Associate Degree Medical Assisting Program at A-B Technical Community College: Accredited by CAAHEP.
Medical Assistants Are In Demand!
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for Medical Assistants will grow 29% through the year 2022. This can be attributed to a predicted surge in the number of physician's offices and outpatient care facilities.
Over the past 5 years the Medical Assisting Program at A-B Tech has had a 95% employment rate for graduates. The certification pass rate through the American Association of Medical Assistants is 100%.
So... What Do Medical Assistants Actually Do?
Medical assistants have a great amount of variety in their jobs and are cross-trained to perform many administrative and clinical duties. Of course, duties vary from office to office depending on location, size and specialty.
Clinical Duties Include:
- Obtaining medical histories and vital signs
- Preparing patients for examination
- Assisting the physician during the exam
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests (CLIA waived)
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Perform venipuncture
- Perform electrocardiography
- Removing sutures and dressings changes
Administrative Duties Include:
- Use office hardware and software to maintain office systems
- Triage phone calls
- Greeting patients
- Updating and filing patient medical records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Manage appointment schedules
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handling correspondence
- Billing, bookkeeping, and account collections
How About The Salaries?
The earnings of medical assistants vary, depending on experience, skill level, and location. Median annual earnings of medical assistants were $32,573 in September 2018.