Clinical Massage Information
This Page Contains Information for Clinical Massage students (top of page) and Clinical Massage Clients (bottom of page)
INFORMATION SESSION FOR DAY CLINICAL MASSAGE CLASS THAT BEGINS IN JANUARY
WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2019 FROM 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
AT THE FERGUSON CENTER FOR ALLIED HEALTH AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
With a total of 600 hours of instruction, A-B Tech's cost-effective Clinical Massage Programs (Day and Evening) are a unique opportunity for those aspiring to enter a healthcare career.
This program provides classroom, laboratory, and clinical experiences consistent with the standards of practice established by the North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy (NCBMBT).
This course is designed to prepare students for the Massage Board Licensing Exam (MBLEx) which establishes eligibility to apply to the State Board for Licensure to practice in North Carolina as a Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist (LMBT).
DAY AND EVENING CLASSES OFFERED
Day Class: The Clinical Massage Day class is a 6-month long program (600 hours). Classes are held Monday - Thursday from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm. An Information Session for the next Clinical Massage Day class will be held on Thursday, December 12, 2019, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm, at the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development (10 Genevieve Circle, Asheville). Class will be held from January 7, 2020 - June 19, 2020 with Orientation on Monday, January 6, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm.
Evening Class: The Clinical Massage Evening class is an 8-month long program (600 hours). Classes are held Monday - Thursday from 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm. An Information Session for the next Clinical Massage Evening class will be held on Monday, March 2, 2020, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm, at the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development (10 Genevieve Circle, Asheville). Classes will be held from March 17, 2020 - October 14, 2020 with Orientation on Monday, March 16, 2020 from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm.
If you are interested in a day or evening Clinical Massage class, either call the Health Occupations office (828-398-7878) or send an email to email@example.com and provide your email address. Your name and email address will be put on the Clinical Massage mailing list and our office will send you an email when the next information session for a Clinical Massage class will be held.
- Make an appointment with Teresa Robinson, Coordinator of Health Occupations by calling the Health Occupations Office: 828-398-7878.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Attend the Information Session and Orientation Session
- Current CPR certification is required prior to the start of Clinic modules. Cost for CPR card is $5.00 if taken during the program
ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE PRESENTED AT TIME OF REGISTRATION. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Provide a high school diploma or equivalency
- Demonstrate college-level reading and math proficiency with college transcripts or by passing the NC DAP (North Carolina Diagnostic Assessment and Placement Test, formerly called The Accuplacer.
- Provide an official U.S. government issued, non-expired signature bearing photo identification. Examples include a driver's license, U.S. Military ID, or U.S. passport.
- Bring with you the negative results of a tuberculosis (TB) skin test. The TB skin test may take anywhere from 48-72 hours for the results to be read. This test is available at a doctor’s office, urgent care facility, or a County Health Department. Each will charge a fee for this test. TB results are good for one year only.
- Provide documentation of all required immunizations:
- Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) vaccination, and subsequent booster every ten (10) years
- Measles vaccination, unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity, or documentation of physician diagnosed measles
- Mumps immunization, unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity, or documentation of physician diagnosed mumps
- Rubella immunization, unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity, or documentation of physician diagnosed rubella
- Hepatitis B vaccination series (unless Student signs an appropriate declination form)
- Varicella immunization (chicken pox), unless Student provides serologic confirmation of immunity, or documentation of physician diagnosed varicella
- Influenza vaccination (required for clinical sessions occurring any time between October 1st and March 31st.
REGISTRATION FEE AND OTHER EXPENSES
- Registration Fee: $191.35 (Registration fee includes: tuition, supply fee, insurance, technology fee, and CAPS fee).
- Students should bring in exact amount if paying with cash
- Write a check to A-B Tech for the exact amount
- Bring a written authorization for payment from your organizational sponsor or the employer who will pay for your class
- Students may also pay with American Express, Master Card, or VISA
- Books: Approx. $350.00
- Uniform: Approx. $125.00
- Holster with bottles: Approx. $35.00
Costs After the Course
- MBLEx Exam: $195.00
- Application Fee: $20.00
- Finger Print Card: $20.00
- NCLMBT state licensure: $190.00
Approximate Total: $1,126.35
If you have any questions regarding these registration procedures or have any further questions, please call the Health Occupations Office at 828-398-7878 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Massage Clients Should Know When Scheduling an Appointment with a Student
Thank you for choosing to participate in our student practicum clinic experience. This is a valuable tool for each student to learn the various aspects of hands-on clinic practice. We have a very nice facility consistent with other programs in the area. We have drapes around the tables to protect privacy. The front drapes will be open during the massage session to protect the student and client and to allow the instructor to respond to questions as needed.
Any inappropriate conversation or behavior conducted towards a student during the session will result in immediate termination of the session and future sessions will not be permitted. Everyone must wear underpants to receive a Clinical Massage at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College. Individuals must be 18 years old or older to receive massage services or be accompanied by an adult.
Instructor and Student Therapists who partake in the A-B Technical Community College Clinical Massage Program will not diagnose any illness or disease. We will assess your clinical massage needs and perform a clinical massage accordingly. Please consult a primary health care physician prior to receiving a therapeutic or clinical massage.
Fall 2019 Clinical Massage Day Class Appointments
Clinical Massages for the 2019 Clinical Massage Day class are scheduled to begin Friday September 6, 2019 through December 6, 2019. Scheduling for appointments will begin two weeks prior to the first clinical massage session. Times for massages are 9:30 am, 10:45 am, 12:45 pm, and 2:00 pm. Clinical Massages are given in Room 242 at the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development building on the A-B Tech campus. To schedule an appointment call the Clinical Massage appointment line: 828-398-7624 and leave a message; or send an email to email@example.com. You should receive a response within 24 hours.
Fall 2019 Clinical Massage Evening Class Appointments
Clinical Massages for the Fall 2019 Clinical Massage Evening class will be held every Wednesday from October 9, 2019, through January 29, 2020. Scheduling appointments for the Wednesday evening massages will begin on Wednesday, September 25, 2019. Times for massages are 4:30 pm, 5:45 pm, and 7:00 pm. Clinical Massages are given in Room 242 at the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development building on the A-B Tech campus. To schedule an appointment call the Clinical Massage appointment line: 828-398-7624 and leave a message; or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You should receive a response within 24 hours.
You may schedule as many appointments as you would like, please note that you can schedule up to 3 appointments with the same student.
(Note: Depending on where students are at in the course of study, not all massages may be available.)
- Integrative Massage--basic all-body massage incorporating the system of transitional strokes and movements of Swedish massage with features of myofascial, trigger point, and neuromuscular therapies as a pathway to treatment-oriented work. As students become more experienced, massages can include the advanced neuromuscular, deep tissue, myofascial release, visceral manipulation and structural balancing therapies to lengthen the shortened muscles in the front of the body which reduces tension in the back (overstretched) muscles.
- Hot Stone--all-body massage using the penetrating moist heat of smooth basalt hot stones to relax muscles, expand the blood vessels, creating a sedative effect on the nervous system.
- Clothed Table Massage--Client keeps clothes on, basic all-body massage on a table with a face cradle to support the head while neck, shoulders, back, legs, and feet are treated, unlike chair massage, the front of the body can also be treated by turning face up to release tension on the front of the body for a more complete experience. No lotion or oil is used.
- Chair Massage--Client sits on a massage chair with a face cradle to support the head, and the arms and legs supported. Therapist works the muscles through the clothes. The focus is on back, neck, shoulders, arms, and hands. No lotion or oil is used.
- Foot Massage--lower leg and foot treatment, using warm, moist towels, massage and mobilization to improve circulation, stimulate muscles, reduce tension, and often eases pain.
Appointment Times for Friday Massages (beginning September 6, 2019):
There are four appointment times during the day. We ask that you arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to give yourself plenty of time to pay the cashier and fill out paperwork.
- 9:30 am
- 10:45 am
- 12:45 pm
- 2:00 pm
Appointment Times for Wednesday Evening Massages (beginning October 9, 2019):
There are three appointment times during the evening. We ask that you arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to give yourself plenty of time to pay the cashier and fill out paperwork.
- 4:30 pm
- 5:45 pm
- 7:00 pm
50-minute massages: $25.00
25-minute massages: $15.00
You will pay for your session as you enter the first-floor main entry of the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development on the A-B Tech campus. You will then proceed to your appointment in Room 242. We accept cash, check, or credit/debit cards.
Thank you for supporting our students.