The RIBN option is an A.A.S. Dual Enrollment Program offered in collaboration with Western Carolina University (WCU). Students are accepted into and take courses at both A-B Tech and WCU during enrollment in the RIBN option.
This program is approved by the
North Carolina Board of Nursing
P.O. Box 2129
Raleigh, NC 27602
This program is accredited by:
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
One DuPont Circle, NW Suite 530
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 887-6791
Specific Program Requirements:
- Current American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification is a prerequisite to full admission and must be maintained throughout the program. This certification must include hands-on skills components, AED use, and other lifesaving skills. Course certifications from any other providers will not be accepted.
- Hold a documented, current, unrestricted credential as a Nurse Aide I (NAI) on the NC Nurse Aide I Registry (NCNAR) from the NC Division of Health Service Regulation (NC DHSR).A copy of the current listing on the NC DHSR website will be acceptable documentation.(https://www.ncnar.org/verify_listings1.jsp#verify)
- Affiliated clinical sites for nursing will require an on boarding process, which will include a criminal background check and drug testing prior to participation in the clinical component. If any clinical facility refuses to allow the student to participate in clinical experiences, for any reason, the student will not be able to progress in the program.Applicants for initial licensure in North Carolina must also have a criminal background check.
- Maintain dual admission and continued enrollment at both A-B Tech and WCU by completing at least one WCU course each semester (Fall / Spring) during years 1 through 3.
- Maintain a GPA of 2.25 or greater to progress in the RIBN option, with a minimum grade of "C" in all coursework.
- Home school will be A-B Tech years 1, 2, and 3.
- Year 1: enroll in general education courses at A-B Tech and WCU as advised by the RIBN Nursing Student Advisor
- Year 2 and 3: enroll in Associate Degree Nursing courses at A-B Tech and continue enrollment in WCU courses as advised by RIBN Nursing Student Advisor.
- Year 4: home school will be WCU
- Successfully pass NCLEX - RN to progress to year 4.
- See the RIBN Student Services Advisor (SSA) for the recommended course sequence.
See advisor for course requirements.