Your Dreams Our Mission banner image

Documentation Requirements

It is illegal for an institution to inquire about disability prior to admission. In postsecondary education, it is the responsibility of the student to identify him/herself to Support Services should he/she need any kind of accommodation. Students generally will not receive accommodations until their documentation of disability is on file in Support Services . As the law allows, students undergoing evaluation or awaiting transmittal of their documentation may also receive services and accommodations. Acceptable documentation of disability includes: medical report, physician's statement, psychological evaluation, or psycho-educational evaluation. This list is not meant to be totally inclusive but establishes the tone of accepted documentation. The only exception to this requirement is what is called the "reasonable man rule." That is, if any reasonable person were to see a given student, they would concur that he was disabled.

There are differences between high school and college accommodations. If you are a high school dual enrolled, middle college, or early college student, then you have to request accommodations through Support Services for your college classes. Please see the Differences Between High School and College Accommodations handout to compare the differences.