Important Student Resources
Message from President Joseph Barwick
Status of A-B Tech Operations
Until further notice, most A-B Tech classes, services and operations have transitioned online. The health and safety of our students, employees and visitors remains our top priority. As we navigate the rapidly evolving coronavirus situation, please refer to this web page for the most up-to-date information about the college.
We also ask that anyone who has a fever or other symptoms consistent with COVID-19, or who may have been exposed to people who have COVID-19, please refrain from coming to any A-B Tech locations. If your questions or needs are not addressed below, please call us at 828-398-7900 or email email@example.com.
Sign-up for Emergency Text Alerts
Stay informed - sign up for student text alerts.
To register, go to WebAdvisor, choose Update My Contact Information, check the box for text alerts, and enter your phone number and carrier. It takes less than a minute.
Financial Aid Update
Please be advised that the financial aid disbursement scheduled for April 10, 2020 will occur as usual.
Both the Business Office and Financial Aid Department are fully able to complete the disbursement remotely if needed so there should be no delay or interruption of the disbursement.
- College Statements on Coronavirus
- Curriculum/High School Dual Enrollment Students
- Continuing Education and Workforce Development
- Small Business Center at A-B Tech Enka
- Student Services (Bailey Student Services Center)
- Transitional Studies/Adult Education
- Other College Services
- Helpful Resources
- Employee Resources
- COVID-19 Symptoms
Curriculum/High School Dual Enrollment Students
Spring Break extended to March 27; most classes resume online March 30
Check Moodle for status of your individual classes
Our Commencement ceremony scheduled for May 9 has been cancelled due to the prohibitions on gatherings of more than 10 people for the next eight weeks. We hope to reschedule this important celebration of student success as more information becomes available.
Continuing Education and Workforce Development
- Barber Academy face to face class is suspended through April. For more information about the Barber Academy, please email Joseph Kaufmann, or leave a message a 828-398 7609.
Community Enrichment classes (Art, Creative Writing, Financial Wellness, Food & Beverage, Home & Garden, Languages, Defensive Driving, Motorcycle Safety, Music & Dance, Recreation) has been suspended through the end of April. We will continue to keep you updated as changes or updates occur. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Great news! Online Classes through A-B Tech Ed2Go are in full session. Explore over 180 programs in the area of Occupational Training and Community Enrichment. New classes start every month. Register online. These online classes are affordable and start at $75. They offer 24-hour access in a 6 week format. Classes include activities, discussion boards, and are mobile accessible. Upon successful completion of the courses students receive a certification of completion.
- Customized Training and Advanced Manufacturing Center: The Customized Training Program will follow the wishes and directives of industry clients, trainees, and instructors. Our staff is in constant contact with all parties, and cancellations and postponements will occur on a case-by-case basis and all parties will be notified individually. Industry training that is supposed to occur at the Advanced Manufacturing Center will occur on a case-by-case basis. For specific questions or information, contact Kevin Kimrey at email@example.com or 828-620-1955.
- Health Occupations classes (CNA, Nurse Aide, Massage and Ophthalmology classroom based classes suspended through April 29th. For questions or more information, please call 828-398-7878 and leave a message. Our team is checking messages and will respond directly.
- Public Safety programs: Contact your instructor for current status
- Law Enforcement:
- Ethical Policing Is Courageous (EPIC) - scheduled for March 17 and 18 has been cancelled by request of Asheville PD. Approximately 50 officers were scheduled to attend.
- Police Canine Team Law: Originally scheduled for March 20, has been re-scheduled for May 29
- Intoxilyzer class: Scheduled for March 16-21 has been cancelled
- LELA (Law Enforcement leadership Academy) - Mar 31, Apr 1 & 2 session has been cancelled
- Fire Protection:
Fire Officer Class- scheduled to start March 23, 2020 - has been cancelled by Asheville Fire Department
AFD Fire Academy to be finished by April 2 or 3. All classes after that for the Asheville Fire Department will be cancelled
NC Fire Instructor II - Ending April 29, 2020 has been cancelled
Fire Officer I & II Block - March 23- March 27, 2020 has been cancelled
Fire Officer Development / Blue Card - March 30- March 31, 2020 has been cancelled
TRV Rescue Ops. - Vehicle - April 20-27, 2020 has been cancelled
Emergency Vehicle Driver - April 13-April 15, 2020 has been cancelled
Pumps: Introduction - April 15-30, 2020 has been cancelled
- PNCCT Course scheduled to begin March 24th has been cancelled
- Spring 2020 Critical Care class has been cancelled
- Law Enforcement:
- Workforce Programs: For questions about our other Workforce Programs, including Job Preparedness, Occupational and Skilled Trades, Classroom Based Computer classes and Business and Hospitality classes, please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a part of A-B Tech, the BioNetwork Natural Products Laboratory, Test Kitchen, and instructional support staff will follow the college’s guidelines in response to the coronavirus and COVID-19 pandemic. Through Friday March 27, the lab is open in a limited fashion with little to no onsite staff presence. As of Monday March 30, our approach will shift to a suspension of activities as our staff members transition to remote work. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accept new samples or new lab rental clients during this time. There will be no face-to-face instruction until otherwise noted. Please contact us directly with any questions. Thank you for understanding. BioNetwork website
Small Business Center at A-B Tech Enka
The Small Business Center continues to operate remotely. Video and telephone counseling sessions are available and seminars will be delivered online. New webinars continue to be added to help small business owners and more information can be found on the Small Business Center website, or contact via email SBCIncubator@abtech.edu. Additional information for our clients.
Student Services (Bailey Student Services Center)
Student Services are available online to both current and prospective students in the following capacities:
Advising: College Entry, Transfer and AGE:
Group Tours: (canceled through May)
Transitional Studies/Adult Education
- All Transitional Studies classes for Adult Basic Education (ABE) Foundations, English Language Acquisition (ELA/ESL), Adult High School (AHS), and High School Equivalency (HSE) Preparation have transitioned to virtual instruction formats using Zoom, Essential Ed, and Burlington English until such time as face-to-face instruction can resume. Current, continuing students who have not yet been able to connect with their instructors virtually, should call 828-398-7433 and leave a message. They’ll receive a return call within 24 hours. Note that it may show on caller ID as coming from a restricted number.
- New student enrollment is discontinued until further notice.
- Pearson Vue GED® Testing is closed through the end of April. Testing hours and schedules will be accurately reflected in students’ www.ged.com accounts.
Other College Services
- A-B Tech Police: Fully operational. 828-398-7125
Academic Learning Center: Students may call or email the ALC, though they are strongly encouraged to utilize email. All responses will be conducted via email. Tutoring will occur through synchronous sessions with current ALC staff via Zoom. Thinkingstorm, the College’s online tutoring platform is linked in Moodle for all students. We are purchasing additional hours.
Bookstore: The store is closed to the public; however, online orders will continue to be processed. Students are encouraged to visit our website to order books and supplies. Any questions can be submitted through the “contact us” link on our website.
- Business Office: The office is closed to the public; however, payment may be made online with self-service. For student questions, email email@example.com.
- College Advancement: Call 828-398-7176 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See Advancement Coronavirus Response
- Coman Gym/Intramurals: Suspended until further notice
- Computer Labs: Pursuant to the current Buncombe County “Stay Home, Stay Safe” declaration, A-B Tech computer labs are currently closed. We will update the website as soon as we are able to re-open.
- Distance Education Lab is available in the A-B Tech/Mission Health Conference Center for a limited number of students who may not have computers or internet service. We have set up 18 stations that comply with social distancing and hygiene practices recommended by public health officials. The Distance Education Lab is open in the Conference Center between 9 am and 4 pm. A-B Tech and other locations also have free "hot spots" where you may access WiFi from your vehicles. See full statement: Accessing Resources for Online Learning From Dr. Terry Brasier, Vice President of Student Services, March 30, 2020.
- A-B Tech and other locations also have free "hot spots" where you may access WiFi from your vehicles.
- Health Clinic: Closed until further notice
- Human Resources: Call 828-398-7114 or email email@example.com.
See Human Resources Coronavirus Response: Employee Guidance
- Locke Library: Library support will be carried out from home by the three full-time librarians (which includes the director). The librarians will be available from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday to answer questions from students via email, chat or Zoom or to conduct instruction sessions via Zoom. The library research service Chatstaff will take over reference assistance at 5:00 pm each day and be available on weekends to assist students with research. Go to the Locke Library webpage for additional information.
- Plant Operations and Facilities Support: Fully operational - Key employees listing
- Shipping and Receiving: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus Events and Scheduling: For more information, please contact us at email: email@example.com or 828-398-7901
- Please note that no events can be held during the current COVID-19 crisis due to Declarations by the State of NC and Buncombe County concerning gatherings of 10 or more people
- Print Shop: Open via electronic services
- Volunteers: Suspended until further notice
- The Writing Center: Students may call or email the Writing Center, though they are strongly encouraged to utilize email. All responses will be conducted via email. All tutoring will remain virtual, being conducted online or remotely via video chat. All student inquiries will receive a response via email. The coordinator will work remotely. Administrative assistants will work from home to check voicemails, respond to student inquiries, and maintain recordkeeping. Go to The Writing Center webpage for additional information.
A-B Tech Locations
- A-B Tech South will continue operations remotely. Individuals seeking information or assistance should call 828-772-5158 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A-B Tech Madison will continue operations remotely. Individuals seeking information or assistance should email email@example.com. The NC Works Career Center at Madison is also operating remotely. Please contact the Center by calling 828-772-0864 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org