Setting Up Your Computer
You should be able to complete your course work if your computer is running a recent version of Windows, Mac OS, or Linux. Check the following to ensure that your computer has the necessary software and software versions.
- You need an Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- You must use a compatible Web browser
- You will need to install some standard (free) plugins if you don't already have them
- You will need application software capable of reading MS Office formats
- You may need special software for specific courses
- You may need a TV/VCR if your course uses videotapes
Internet Service Provider (ISP)
An Internet Service Provider is a company that provides Internet access for a fee (for example your telephone, cable or satellite service). There are many ISPs available. If you are using a phone service, be sure that your connection uses a local phone number so that you will not encounter long distance charges. The cost of your Internet connection is not covered by course fees. NOTE: If you are using a phone service, consider DSL service which will give you a much faster connection than a 56k baud modem.
Compatible Web Browsers
Not all Web browsers meet the standards required for use with Moodle. The following browsers/versions should all be compatible:
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or 8.0
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or 3.0
- Safari 2.0 or 3.0
IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING BROWSERS WITH MOODLE:
- Earlier versions of the browsers listed above
- Google Chrome
Pop-ups: If your browser is configured not to allow pop-ups, you can make an exception for moodle.abtech.edu, or else allow pop-ups
Cookies: Choose a browser security level that allows cookies (a setting of "medium" should work fine)
To update Windows and your browser with the latest Java plug-in (Mac computers use Software Update):
Users must enable the Java console and the JIT compiler for virtual machine
Your courses may include documents and multimedia in the following formats. Click each item to see if your computer already has the required plugin. If not, then click the link to download and install the plugin. You may wish to do this anyway to install the latest version.
- Can you read this PDF document? If not, click here. to install the free Adobe Reader.
- Can you play this Flash movie? If not, click here. to install the free Adobe Flash Player.
- Can you play this Quicktime movie? If not, click here. to install the free Quicktime Player.
Standard office application software
MS Office 2003, 2007, 2010 or a current version of Open Office capable of reading current MS Office documents.
Special software for specific courses
Any special requirements will be identified by your instructor.
TV/VCR/DVD Player (only if your course uses videotapes or DVD's)
This is unlikely - your instructor will provide details.