American Flag

Certification of Benefits Procedures

  1. Veterans applying for benefits for the first time should complete an Application for Benefits online at
  2. Veterans who have been receiving benefits and are changing places of training must submit a Change of Place of Training or Program form 22-1995.
  3. Veterans may not audit coursework for "no credit," take courses previously passed with a "D" grade (unless considered a major area course which for graduation requires a "C" or better grade), take courses for which transfer credit has been granted, take non-approved co-op courses or take adult education courses. Veterans can only be certified for coursework required for graduation in the program for which they have been certified for payment. Any course substitutions must be approved and documented by the Department Chairperson and a copy filed in the veterans advisor's office. Veterans may only take approved/required deficiency/remedial courses specifically listed on their Plan of Individual Education Form. The VA does not permit a repeat of a "D" grade for any remedial/deficiency coursework.
  4. Veterans must provide the veterans advisor with a copy of their registration each semester showing their program and the hours for which they have enrolled.
  5. An enrollment certification will be submitted to the appropriate Veterans Administration Office with enrollment data.
  6. Processing of benefits could take anywhere from 10-12 weeks.
  7. IMPORTANT - All students who are receiving either the Montgomery GI BILL Active duty or Selected Reserve MUST now verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments.  This verification can be done either by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) application on this website or by using an automated telephone system (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378 and follow the prompts.
  8. It is the veteran's responsibility to notify the veterans advisor in a timely manner of changes in your credit hour load (dropped or added courses), off-cycle courses (minimesters), changing your program or discontinuing training. Failure to follow proper procedures could result in an overpayment and/or payment problems.
  9. Students using VA benefits are responsible for all debts, registration fees, and book costs.

    You cannot charge against the VA to attend class (excludes Chapter 31). You should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket to start school.
  10. VA Vocational Rehabilitation students (Chapter 31) must buy all required books, supplies, tools, and equipment through the ABTCC Bookstore.
  11. All students are responsible for the information contained in the A-B Tech Student Handbook.
  12. Individuals must meet the college's academic standards as they progress through their programs (see catalog Standards for Academic Progress).  Failure to meet these Academic Standards of Progress will result in suspension of veterans educational benefits.