Presidential Search Process
The A-B Tech Board of Trustees is conducting a search for the next President of A-B Tech for a term set to begin no earlier than July 1, 2020. Because the Board is focused on hiring the best person possible to successfully lead our College, the Trustees will appoint an Interim President between February 2020 and the official start date of our new President.
To facilitate the process, the Board initially appointed a Presidential Search Advisory Committee to develop the job description, advertise the position, and provide the full 15-member Board of Trustees with a report on the desirable characteristics for the next President as identified through campus and community input. An employee survey was conducted and three public forums were held on the Asheville campus and at A-B Tech Madison. This portion of the process was completed in October. An updated Search Timeline will be posted on December 3.
On November 4, the Board of Trustees voted to amend the presidential search process in the following manner:
- Hiring of a Search Firm
- The Board of Trustees delegated authority to its Executive Committee to negotiate a final contract with Executive Leadership Associates, LLP (ELA) for supplemental search services not to exceed $25,000.
- Final Applicant Selection
- The Board of Trustees delegated authority to its Executive Committee and ELA to reduce the candidate pool to no more than six candidates for presentation to the full Board of Trustees. The Board will then select finalists for interviews and campus visits. The original search committee was disbanded; however, Trustee Gene Bell will continue to serve with the Executive Committee for the purposes of selecting a President.
- Interim President
- The Board of Trustees delegated the responsibility of negotiating a contract with an interim President to the Executive Committee, subject to the final approval by the full Board of Trustees.
The full Board of Trustees will select finalists in a closed session. North Carolina State Law requires presidents of its 58 community colleges to be elected by a majority vote of the local Board of Trustees and to be given final approval by the State Board of Community Colleges. Members of the Executive Committee include:
- John Parham, M.D. - Chair, A-B Tech Board of Trustees
- Roger Metcalf - Vice Chair, A-B Tech Board of Trustees
- Joe Brumit – Past Chair, A-B Tech Board of Trustees and A-B Tech Foundation Board
- Frances Ramsey - A-B Tech Board of Trustees
- Matt Kern – A-B Tech Board of Trustees
- Gene Bell, Committee — A-B Tech Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees are grateful for your continued support as we endeavor to choose the next President of A-B Tech.
Please forward any questions to Carolyn Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org.