Ophthalmic Medical Assistant Program
Ophthalmic Medical Assistant Program Video
What is an Ophthalmic Medical Assistant?
An Ophthalmic Medical Assistant works with an Ophthalmologist (eye doctor) by helping with the patient's needs. The assistant will be taking histories, performing various procedures and tests, and preparing patients to see the doctor.
A-B Tech Continuing Education is accredited with The Commission on Accreditation of Ophthalmic Programs (CoA-OMP).
We offer the opportunity to sit for a certification exam by The Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO) and this is an international certification.
Graduates from the program are eligible to sit for the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO) Certified Ophthalmic Assistant® (COA®) exam upon completion of the program.
As part of the pre-requisite for this program there will be a background check and a drug screen. More information about that can be found here: https://www.abtech.edu/content/Healthcare/Criminal-Background-Investigations/Drug-Screening-FAQ.
For more information on upcoming classes, please call the Health Occupations Office at 828-398-7878.
The full program consists of two courses (total of 633 hours) taught by a Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist. Students must successfully complete both lecture and clinical portions to complete the program successfully. Students who successfully complete the entire program will be eligible to take the Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) exam.
Prerequisites for the course will include but are not limited to:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Passing the NC DAP (NC Diagnostic Assessment and Placement Test-formerly called Accuplacer) at the college level for reading and math. Study guides can be located on the A-B Tech web site https://www.abtech.edu/testing-center/prepare-placement-testing Scores are good for 5 years
- U.S. Government Issue, signature bearing, non-expired photo ID
Further Prerequisites prior to the clinical portion:
- Completed list of immunizations, list will be provided
- Successful background check and drug screening completed by Wolfe Inc.
- Reliable Transportation, as clinical sites can be up to 31 miles each way