Frequently Asked Questions

What type of assistance is available?

Federal grants, state grants, loans, work-study, and scholarships are available to students based on eligibility.

What is the FSA ID and password?

The FSA ID is now the required login information for various federal aid websites, including the FAFSA on the Web. We recommend creating your FSA ID before you begin completing your FAFSA, which will make the process easier. Create your FSA ID.

What is A-B Tech's Federal School Code?

A-B Tech's Federal School Code is 004033.


Which FAFSA application should I complete?

This depends on when you want to attend A-B Tech. Visit our helpful FAFSA reference page to determine which FAFSA to complete.


People keep referring to Cost of Attendance (COA).  I don't know what that means.  Are they referring to tuition and fees?

Yes, but it also includes a lot more.  Cost of Attendance is based on an average of what most students typically pay for most expenses for a given year.  Cost of Attendance includes such things as tuition, fees and books, but it also includes things like supplies, an estimate of room and board expenses, an estimate of transportation expenses, and "miscellaneous" expenses.  Cost of Attendance varies based on a student's living arrangements and whether their residency status is in-state or out-of-state.  There are also variances depending on certain programs and associated costs of those programs.  A general chart of some common Costs of Attendance amounts can be found on our Cost of Attendance page.

How does the government determine if I am eligible for financial aid?

The U.S. Department of Education determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) based on the information you provide on the FAFSA. Each academic institution that you included on your FAFSA will use the EFC and your enrollment status to determine which aid programs you are eligible for and the amount you are eligible to receive.

I am 21 years old and have been on my own since I was 18. Do I have to include my parents' information on the FAFSA?

The U.S. Department of Education deems that if you answer yes to one of the Dependency Status Questions on the FAFSA application, you do not have to include your parent's income on the FAFSA. If you could not answer yes to at least one of the questions in this section, then you are required to provide your parents’ information on the FAFSA.

What is verification?

If you've been selected for verification, you may be wondering what it's all about. Basically, the verification process provides a consistent and structured way for the Financial Aid Office to verify your eligibility for financial aid. The government asks us to collect some information from selected students and compare that information against what they indicated on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to ensure correctness. If in the process of reviewing a student’s financial aid file, we notice conflicting data, the conflict must be resolved before awarding can take place. This verification process ensures that you are awarded in accordance with federal regulations governing the appropriate disbursement of eligible funds.

How can I get a copy of my IRS Tax Return Transcript?

Please review our "How to Get a Tax Transcript" guide for details on how to satisfy this Verification requirement.

How do I fill out the FAFSA if I did not file a tax return?

In the Financial Data section of the FAFSA, select “Will Not File” for the “Tax Return Completion Status” question if you did not file a return and were not required to do so under federal guidelines. Follow the same steps for your parents if you are a Dependent student and are required to provide parental data.

How will I be notified about what financial aid is available to me?

An Award Notification email will be sent to your A-B Tech student email notifying you that your Award Letter is ready to be viewed in Self-Service.

How will I receive a financial aid refund?

When it comes to receiving financial aid refunds and other credit balances, you deserve choices! Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College has partnered with BankMobile Disbursements to deliver any refund money we may have for you. You will select your refund preference using your personal code which will arrive in your Refund Selection Kit. This kit will be sent in a bright green envelope to your address on file with Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College.

Look for your Refund Selection Kit. It will arrive in a bright green envelope and contain your Personal Code. Once you have your code, follow these easy steps:

•             Visit RefundSelection.com

•             Enter your Personal Code

•             Select how you’d like to receive your money

I received my refund and it was less than I was awarded. Why?

There are several reasons why your refund may be less than you were awarded.

First, remember that tuition, fees, and bookstore purchases made with financial aid funds were taken out of the financial aid that you were awarded. You then receive a refund for the remaining balance of funds.

Also, grant award amounts for students attending less than full-time (12 in-program credit hours) will be subject to proration. North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG) requires students to be enrolled in at least 15 in-program credit hours to qualify for the full amount of their award each semester. You must be actively attending, or have already completed, a minimum of 6 in-program credit hours to receive a loan disbursement. State grants require students to be actively attending a minimum of 6 in-program credit hours.

Will my financial aid be affected if I withdraw from a class?

Withdrawing from classes can always have a negative impact on you financial aid status. For example, federal regulations require students with between 1-29 completed hours to maintain at least a 50% cumulative passing rate and students with 30 plus completed hours to maintain at least a 67% cumulative passing rate during their academic career to remain eligible for financial aid. Withdrawing from classes will lower your passing rate. We encourage students to take a manageable course load and try their best to earn a grade of C or better in all courses attempted.

Will my financial aid be affected if I withdraw from all of my classes?

If an aid recipient withdraws from all classes, regardless of the reason, before the 60% point of the semester, a percentage of federal aid received may have to be repaid based on the Federal Formula Calculation. Please review our Federal Return to Title IV Funds Policy for details.