Early Childhood Education
Welcome to the Early Childhood Department.
The Early Childhood Education programs are considered open enrollment. Students may enter the degree or certificate tracks at any given time. Students who wish to enroll in the degree or certificate programs must process through the new student process. Once complete students will be able to declare their major as Early Childhood Education AAS (degree), Early Childhood Education Certificate or the Special Education Certificate. Students will then also be assigned to an advisor in the Early Childhood Education Department.
If you are interested in taking EDU 119 - Introduction to Early Childhood Education course often referred to as the Early Childhood Credentials course please apply to the college if you are not already a student and complete New Student Orientation. Please contact the Early Childhood Education Department to register. Click HERE to learn more.(This link hosts a file in Dropbox that will provide you step by step instructions).
*Please note, you do not have to have Dropbox in order to view this file. If you are prompted to sign up or log in, click the X in the top right corner.
Summer and Fall 2016 Advising is in progress!
If you are in need of advising please contact Jennifer Bosworth by email at email@example.com to initiate the advising process.
If you are NEW to A-B Tech then WELCOME! Be sure that you complete all the required admission processes that are a part of becoming a student. Once that is complete you can declare your program of study in the Bailey building with Student Services.
2016 Summer & Fall Semester Course Offerings
The following ONLINE 8 week classes will be offered SUMMER 2016:
EDU 119-OM1 Intro to Early Childhood Education
EDU 144-OM1 Child Development I
EDU 145-OM1 Child Development II
EDU 146-OM1 Child Guidance
The following ONLINE 14-16 week classes will be offered FALL 2016:
EDU 119-LO1 Intro to Early Childhood Education
EDU 131-O1 Child, Family & Community
EDU 144-O1 Child Development I
EDU 271-O1 Educational Technology
EDU 280-O1 Lang. & Literacy Experiences
The following MINIMESTER 8 week classes will be offered FALL 2016:
EDU 145-OM1 Child Development II
EDU 144-OM2 Child Development I
The following HYBRID classes will be offered:
EDU 119-LXYD1 Intro to Early Childhood Educ. Meets select Tuesdays 2:00-3:50 pm
- This course will meet on the following Tuesdays: 8/30, 9/6, 9/20, 10/4, 10/18, 11/1, 11/15, & 11/29
- This course has additional opportunities for scholarships through Goodwill. Contact Rachel Olsen at 298-9023 (X 1161) for more information.
- Class meets at the Goodwill Workforce Center on Smoky Park Hwy
EDU 119-LYN1 Intro to Early Childhood Educ. Meets select Tuesdays 6:00-7:30 pm
- This course will meet on the following Tuesday evenings: 8/30, 9/6, 9/20, 10/4, 10/18, 11/1, 11/15, & 11/29
EDU 146-YZD1 Child Guidance Meets select Mondays 2:30-4:00 pm
- This course will meet on the following Mondays: 8/15, 8/29, 9/12, 10/3, 10/24, 11/7, & 11/21
EDU 151-LYD1 Creative Activities Meets select Wednesdays 3:00-4:30 pm
- This course will meet on the following Wednesdays: 8/31, 9/7, 9/21, 10/5, 10/19, 11/2, 11/16, & 11/30
EDU 221-LYD1 Children w/ Exceptionalities Meets select Thursdays 12:00-1:30 pm
- This course will meet on the following Thursdays: 9/1, 9/15, 10/13, 10/27, 11/10, & 11/17
EDU 251-YN1 Exploration Activities Meets select Thursdays 5:30-7:00 pm
- This course will meet on the following Thursday evenings: 8/18, 9/1, 9/15, 10/13, 10/27, 11/10, & 11/17
The following HYBRID class will be offered at our Madison site:
EDU 146-RYZD1 Child Guidance Meets select Mondays 2:30-4:00
- This course will be an ITV course. ITV is an Interactive Video course allowing students to take classes on the Asheville Campus from the Madison site. ITV provides students the opportunity to sit in the classroom at one location and watch the entire instructional component via real-time video from the host location. ITV technology allows the student the opportunity to ask questions, etc., during the class. Courses offered via ITV are less likely to be canceled! The partner class for this course is EDU 146-YZD1 held in Asheville.
Contact Jennifer Bosworth
Links to Helpful Websites
- NC Division of Child Development
- NC Rated License Assessment Project
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- NC Association for the Education of Young Children
- TEACH Scholarship
- Partners in Out-of-School Time
- North Carolina Institute for Child Development Professionals (Early Educator Certification)