Motorcycle Safety Education Program
This Basic RiderCourse developed by The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has been updated as part of the MSF Rider Education and Training System designed to "develop a novice rider into an excellent rider." The Basic RiderCourse is conducted at a pace that results in successful completion for most novice riders. The course begins on Friday evening with a self-paced e-Course; Saturday and Sunday consists of classroom and actual motorcycle operator training in a controlled, off-street environment. No experience is necessary; a good sense of balance is required (you must be able to ride a bicycle). If you experience significant difficulty or become a safety risk to yourself or others, you will not be permitted to continue to ride.
To receive the NC Motorcycle Safety Education Program endorsement card you must attend one hundred percent of all scheduled course hours, pass the written test and skills evaluation.
You will learn:
- To have more fun by riding your motorcycle safely.
- The basics: what to wear, how to start and stop your motorcycle, and motorcycle controls.
- Street strategies to avoid trouble and stay safe.
- How to maneuver your motorcycle in tough situations: swerving, avoiding collisions, special situations, lane changes, passing and avoiding hazards.
Reasons why you should take this course:
- Licensing Test Waiver – NCDMV waives the skills portion of your motorcycle-endorsement test, if you've completed successfully the RiderCourse.
- Insurance Discounts - Many insurance companies offer discounts on motorcycle premiums to students who have successfully completed a RiderCourse. Be sure to ask your insurance agent.
Required Gear for Saturday and Sunday:
- Long pants
- Long sleeve shirts
- Over the ankle boots
- Full-fingered gloves
- Eye protection (sunglasses or prescription eyewear is permissible)
- DOT approved helmet
- Motorcycles are provided. Helmets are available, if needed.
- Students under the age of 18 must have the written consent of a parent or guardian.
- You do NOT need to possess a driver’s license or learner’s permit to take the course.
- You must possess some degree of strength, be able to support a 300‑pound motorcycle while straddling it and have the ability to push the motorcycle for distances up to 120 feet.
- Heat and cold weather conditions can add to the strenuous conditions you'll encounter while taking the course.
|May 5 - May 7, 2017||CSP-4258-211MS||FULL|
|May 12 - May 14, 2017||CSP-4258-213MS||FULL|
|May 19 - May 21, 2017||CSP-4258-215MS||FULL|
|June 2 - June 4, 2017||CSP-4258-473MS||FULL|
|June 9 - June 11, 2017||CSP-4258-475MS||OPEN|
|June 16 - June 18, 2017||CSP-4258-477MS||OPEN|
|June 23 - June 25, 2017||CSP-4258-479MS||FULL|
|July 7 - July 9||CSP-4258-483MS||OPEN|
|July 14 - July 16||CSP-4258-485MS||OPEN|
|July 21 - July 23||CSP-4258-487MS||OPEN|
Times and Locations - Rain or Shine:
Friday, 6 - 10 p.m., Room 121, Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development, Asheville Campus
10 Genevieve Circle, Asheville NC
- Self-Pace, Computer-based e-Course
- You must have a valid email address and know how to operate a computer.
Saturday and Sunday, 7:45 a.m. - 5 p.m., Room 203 Advanced Manufacturing Center Building, Asheville Campus
- Wear motorcycle gear listed above
- Rain gear when necessary
- One-hour lunch break each day
- Bring plenty of fluids to keep hydrated
- Optional - a portable canvas chair
Registration Fee: $190 (includes the e-Course Authorization Code, Basic Rider Course Handbook and a $4 comprehensive insurance fee)
To register on line go to: http://abtech.edu/ce/registration
For general information call 828-398-7817 or 828-398-7369
*All NC Motorcycle Safety Education courses are self-supporting and tuition fees will not be refunded if you fail to show up or don't complete the course for any reason. Transfers will be considered on a case by case basis and must be requested at least one week in advance of the original course date. No fee exemptions. No refunds after registration.
Motorcycle Safety Basic Rider Course 2:
July 1, 2017 - CSP-4599-481MS OPEN
Registration Fee: $89 The registration fee includes a $4 comprehensive medical insurance policy.
If you bring a passenger, your passenger will need to register and pay the registration fee.
This eight hour course is for riders with at least six months or 3,000 miles riding experience. You must possess a valid motorcycle learner’s permit or motorcycle endorsement before enrolling. You will need to furnish a street-legal, properly licensed and insured motorcycle of any size (must show proof of insurance). If the motorcycle is not registered in the student’s name, written permission from the owner to use the motorcycle must be furnished. All motorcycles will be inspected for proper and safe condition with particular attention to tires. Three-Wheel motorcycles are not permitted. Students must attend all of the eight hour course to receive the MSF completion card.