Motorcycle Safety Education Program
This Basic RiderCourse developed by The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has been updated as part of the MSF Rider Education and Training System designed to "develop a novice rider into an excellent rider." The Basic RiderCourse is conducted at a pace that results in successful completion for most novice riders. The course begins on Friday evening with a self-paced e-Course; Saturday and Sunday consists of classroom and actual motorcycle operator training in a controlled, off-street environment. No experience is necessary; a good sense of balance is required (you must be able to ride a bicycle). If you experience significant difficulty or become a safety risk to yourself or others, you will not be permitted to continue to ride.
To receive the NC Motorcycle Safety Education Program endorsement card you must attend one hundred percent of all scheduled course hours, pass the written test and skills evaluation.
You will learn:
- To have more fun by riding your motorcycle safely.
- The basics: what to wear, how to start and stop your motorcycle, and motorcycle controls.
- Street strategies to avoid trouble and stay safe.
- How to maneuver your motorcycle in tough situations: swerving, avoiding collisions, special situations, lane changes, passing and avoiding hazards.
Reasons why you should take this course:
- Licensing Test Waiver – NCDMV waives the skills portion of your motorcycle-endorsement test, if you've completed successfully the RiderCourse.
- Insurance Discounts - Many insurance companies offer discounts on motorcycle premiums to students who have successfully completed a RiderCourse. Be sure to ask your insurance agent.
Required Gear for Saturday and Sunday:
- Long pants
- Long sleeve shirts
- Over the ankle boots
- Full-fingered gloves
- Eye protection (sunglasses or prescription eyewear is permissible)
- DOT approved helmet
- Motorcycles are provided. Helmets are available, if needed.
- Students under the age of 18 must have the written consent of a parent or guardian.
- You do NOT need to possess a driver’s license or learner’s permit to take the course.
- You must possess some degree of strength, be able to support a 300‑pound motorcycle while straddling it and have the ability to push the motorcycle for distances up to 120 feet.
- Heat and cold weather conditions can add to the strenuous conditions you'll encounter while taking the course.
|November 4 - November 6||CSP-4258-539MS||FULL|
|November 11 - November 13||CSP-4258-541MS||FULL|
|March 3 - March 5, 2017||CSP-4258-191MS||OPEN|
|March 10 - March 12, 2017||CSP-4258-193MS||OPEN|
|March 17 - March 19, 2017||CSP-4258-195MS||OPEN|
|March 24 - March 26, 2017||CSP-4258-197MS||OPEN|
|March 31 - April 2, 2017||CSP-4258-199MS||OPEN|
|April 7 - April 9, 2017||CSP-4258-201MS||OPEN|
|April 14 - April 16, 2017||CSP-4258-203MS||OPEN|
|April 21 - April 23, 2017||CSP-4258-205MS||OPEN|
|April 28 - April 30, 2017||CSP-4258-207MS||OPEN|
Times and Locations - Rain or Shine:
Friday, 6 - 10 p.m., Room 121, Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development, Asheville Campus
10 Genevieve Circle, Asheville NC
- Self-Pace, Computer-based e-Course
- You must have an active email address
Saturday and Sunday, 7:45 a.m. - 5 p.m., Room 203 Advanced Manufacturing Center Building, Asheville Campus
- Wear motorcycle gear listed above
- Rain gear when necessary
- One-hour lunch break each day
- Bring plenty of fluids to keep hydrated
- Optional - a portable canvas chair
Registration Fee: $190 (includes the e-Course Authorization Code, Basic Rider Course Handbook and a $4 comprehensive insurance fee)
To register on line go to: http://abtech.edu/ce/registration
For general information call 828-398-7817 or 828-398-7369
*All NC Motorcycle Safety Education courses are self-supporting and tuition fees will not be refunded if you fail to show up or don't complete the course for any reason. Transfers will be considered on a case by case basis and must be requested at least one week in advance of the original course date. No fee exemptions. No refunds after registration.