American Flag



How do I start my educational benefits?

Please follow the steps on our New Students page. For additional information about the types of benefits for which you may qualify please visit the Department of Veteran Affairs Educational Benefits page.

Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits?

Yes, you are eligible to apply for financial aid as any other student would. Even if you receive additional VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31) assistance, you may be eligible for financial aid. Check out the Financial Aid Web site for more information about applying for aid.

How do I get college credit for my military training?

Submit your military transcripts to our admissions office.

Are my VA educational benefits taxable?

No, any Veterans' benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?

Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits?

Students must adhere to the Academic Standards Policy of the AB Tech. Students will be terminated for VA purposes if academically suspended. AB Tech notifies the VA within thirty days of any change in status or failure to meet satisfactory progress. Typically a student only has to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain in good academic standing, but a sudden, dramatic drop in GPA may cause academic probation.


How do I find out if I have any benefits left?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551. Or enroll in or

What do I need to do each semester once I register for my classes?

Please contact our Veteran Services Coordinator.

Do I have to pay tuition and fees?

Yes, with the exception of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill, chapter 31 VA Voc Rehab, and the Tuition Assistance Program, students are responsible for their own tuition and fees. VA benefits are a monthly allotment that gets paid via check or direct deposit.