Nursing Programs Faculty
Christy Andrews, MSN, RN
Chairperson of Nursing Programs
Office: RHO 442
Nita Kirkpatrick, MSN, RN
Associate Chairperson of Nursing Programs
Office: RHO 425
Laura Brown, MSN, RN, CNE
Clinical Coordinator of Nursing Programs
Office: RHO 426
- Diploma from Peter Bent Brigham Hospital School of Nursing (known as Brigham and Women's Hospital); Boston, MA
- Bachelor's Degree: Winston-Salem State University; Winstom-Salem, NC
- MSN with Concentration in Nursing Education: Gardner-Webb University; Boiling Springs, NC
- Certification: Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) by National League of Nursing (NLN)
- Certification: Certified Pediatric Nurse (CPN) by National Pediatric Nursing Certification Board
- Adult ICU for first 10 years out of nursing school
- PACU nursing inpatient and outpatient for many years
- Pediatrics in surgery settings, and worked in an outpatient sick and emergency after hour pediatric care facility for 17 yrs
- Pediatric office patient care and triage
- Adjunct Faculty: AB Tech, May 2000
- Full-Time Faculty: AB Tech, January 2003
- Clinical Coordinator/Liason: AB Tech, August 2014
Favorite Nursing Quotation: "To nurse is a field of which one may safely say: there is no end in what we may be learning every day." -Florence Nightingale
Background: Grew up in Connecticut, went to nursing school in Boston and return to work in CT as an RN for 5 years. Moved to NC in 1976. Married with 4 children, 2 girls and twin boys. Currently have 7 grandchildren with the 8th one due July 2015. I love spending time with my family, especially my wonderful grandchildren. Also enjoy gardening, reading, camping, and spending time with friends.
Office: RHO 443
William "Brent" Evans MSN, RN
Office: RHO 450
- BA: History, University of Georgia
- ADN: AB Tech Community College
- BSN: University of North Carolina @ Charlotte
- MSN: East Carolina University
Work Experience: 5 years critical care staff nursing; nursing faculty member here at A-B Tech. I previously worked as a credit analyst, zzzzzzzz. I also used to bag groceries at a Piggly Wiggly while in high school.
Favorite Nursing Quotation: “The only path to being a great nurse is through your heart.” -Christine Conrad, RN
Background: I am a Georgia native but had the good fortune of moving to Asheville in 1995 and now this is home. Nursing is a second career for me and I am grateful that it has become my professional focus. I have two wonderful boys and a darling wife. I love to play racquetball and enjoy pretty much any sport with a ball involved.
Pamela Griffin, MSN, RN
Office: RHO 449
Tipton Dillingham, MSN, RN
Office: RHO 446
Deanna Littrell, MSN, RN
Simulation Coordinator/Nursing Faculty
Office: RHO 447
Kristina McCall MSN, RN-BC
Office: RHO 418
- Practical Nurse Diploma from ABTCC
- Associates in Nursing from Regents College, Albany, NY
- Bachelor’s Degree from Lees McRae College, Banner Elk, NC
- Master’s Degree from Gardner-Webb University, Boiling Springs, NC
Work Experience: Began working on a “float pool” in many areas, but eventually favored pulmonary nursing working on a vent unit and progressive care units. Became a nurse educator at Mission in 2009 and found my “true” calling in nursing, I love to teach!
Favorite Nursing Quotation: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
Background: Moved to NC at the age of 6 from California, married a military man, so I’ve done lots of traveling, no children, but I've had a wonderful husband since 1993. Knew I wanted to be a nurse when my mom let me give her insulin shots (she was a diabetic).
Rachel Repasy, MSN, RN
Office: RHO 444
- ADN from Catawba Valley Community College in Hickory, NC, 2003
- BSN from Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC, 2010
- MSN from Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC, 2015
- 2003-2004…PMCU/PMSD @ Mission
- 2004-2013…NTICU (NeuroTrauma ICU) @ Mission
Favorite Nursing Quotation: “You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you’ll win, no matter what the outcome.”- Patch Adams
Background: I am a North Carolina native. I moved to Asheville in 2003 and have lived here ever since. I love the mountains, especially in the fall and winter. Love everything SNOW! I have been married since 2003 to my husband who owns a small business in Black Mountain. We have 2 beautiful kids…a son and daughter. I like to garden in the summer, go to the beach, lay in the yard and read, and plant flowers!
Misty Shane, MSN, RN
Office: RHO 451
Heather M. Wallen, MSN, RN
Office: RHO 448
- Associate Degree Nursing: 2004 @ Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
- Bachelor of Science Nursing: 2009 @ Appalachian State University
- Master of Science Nursing Education: 2015 @ Western Carolina University (Sigma Theta Tau)
- Coli Critical Care ICU: Approximately 7 years @ Mission Hospital
- House Supervisor: 2 years @ Mission Hospital
- Nurse Educator (MSICU/Coli/7North/Gsurg/NA Staffing Pool): 2 years @ Mission Hospital
- Nursing Faculty: Began August 2014...and am here for the long run!!!
- Specialties: Oncology, Sepsis, Renal Failure, Palliative Care/Hospice Care, and Nurse Education.
Favorite Nursing Quotation: "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." -Emmerson
Background: I was born in Florida to a mother who was a Florida native and a father who was a North Carolina native. We moved to NC when I was 11 years old and I've always considered NC my home. I have a wonderful husband who supports me and always keeps me laughing. I am an animal lover and am a 'mama' to 3 fur-babies. I love to sing and actually considered it as a career for a short time before becoming a nurse. Nursing is my passion, my calling, and my life. I believe there is no greater gift than to teach someone to care for another.
Joan Vassey, MSN, RN
Office: RHO 418
WNC RIBN Student Services Advocate/Advisor
Office: RHO 118
Education: BS in Mathematics, Colorado State University, certification in math instruction, UNCA
Work Experience: Enka High School: taught math, A-B Tech: developmental math, general academic advising, WNC RIBN adviser
Favorite Nursing Quotation: I'm not a nurse but came across this cute quote that probably applies to nursing "There is no 'i' in team but apparently there is one hidden somewhere in 'group project.'"
Background: I am originally from Colorado and enjoy going back yearly to see beloved family and friends. I'm starting to re-develop my love for adventure and dipping my toes into traveling. I most recently traveled to Alaska to visit a dear friend. My latest passion is trying out recipes with the sour dough that was apparently started 100 years ago in Nome! Exercising is important to me and I am back into the swing of running, swimming, bicycling, walking and hiking. I'm pretty much addicted to cross word puzzles and Ken-Ken (a variation of Sudoku).I have a 3 year old grandson who loves the surf and the pool! We head down to St. Augustine, FL, often and really enjoy taking him there.