Student Reopening Guidance
As A-B Tech begins to reopen, our goal is to reassure you that the well-being of our students, faculty and staff is our top priority. To make this a reality, we need you to become our partner in the following efforts to Keep A-B Tech Healthy and Safe.
Before you return, our buildings will have received a thorough cleaning and new disinfection practices will be in place. In addition, faculty and staff will have received training in how to prevent the spread of coronavirus and other infectious diseases.
What Students Can Expect Upon Return to A-B Tech
In order to participate in face-to-face classes and receive academic and student support services, students must comply with the following guidelines:
- Complete a self- assessment by reviewing the COVID-19 symptoms listed on the Keep A-B Tech Healthy and Safe signage at the entrance of each building.
- After the self-assessment, if you have symptoms, do not enter the building. Call or email your instructor for next steps.
- Handwashing is advised upon entry to buildings, and frequently thereafter (soap and water are considered primary hand-washing practice). Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available (sanitizer stations will be filled, but sanitizer is not considered a replacement for soap and water).
- Upon entering classrooms, students must sign-in to attest that they are free of COVID-19 symptoms.
- On the first day of class, students will view a COVID-19 safety video that highlights the new procedures that best ensure a safe and healthy learning environment.
- Face coverings will be expected for anyone who is within six feet of another person (please bring your own face coverings).
- Face shields and/or barriers will be provided as available and deemed necessary by the college and/or program.
- Physical distancing will be employed to the extent possible in accordance with local and state guidelines.
- Some programs may require safety protocols that exceed the general expectations and requirements listed above. Each class syllabus will address individual class requirements.
- Students who require variances to this guidance will be referred to Student Support Services using normal accommodation processes.
- Students who refuse to comply with these expectations are subject to the Code of Student Conduct and may be dismissed from classes or other A-B Tech locations and referred to Student Services.
Students Who Are Sick or Diagnosed with COVID-19
- It is imperative that students monitor their health and avoid coming to campus and seek medical attention if sick.
- Students who become sick while on campus should leave promptly and seek medical attention.
- If diagnosed with COVID-19, students should immediately notify the Vice President of Student Services at 828-398-7146.
As our knowledge of the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, college expectations and requirements will be revised based upon state and local guidance. Notice of changes to this guidance will be sent via email to student accounts and posted on the A-B Tech website under Coronavirus Response.
The college also is preparing backup plans in the event the pandemic requires a return to online instruction. Those plans will be communicated by Instructional Services.