Virtual Computing Lab
The Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) is a service of North Carolina State University and allows students and faculty at AB-Tech to create virtual instances of Linux (Ubuntu) servers.
Instructions to Spin up a New Ubuntu Server
- Visit https://vcl.ncsu.edu/
- Click on "Make a Reservation"
- Important: From the drop-down menu on the left-hand side of the page, choose "ABTech CC LDAP" and click "Proceed to Login"
- Log in with your AB-Tech username and password
- Click on "New Reservation" in the left pane
- Choose "Ubuntu LAMP" from the drop-down and choose "Create Reservation"
- It may take as long as 20 minutes for your server to become active. You will receive an email when the server is online. Once your instance is active browse to your current reservations and click the "Connect" button next to your reservation. Use the connection information (IP address, username and password) to connect to your server via SSH. You mySQL/phpMyAdmin username and password are 'root' and 'abtech' respectively
That's it! Just like that you have your very own LAMP stack live on the internet. Don't believe me? Paste the IP address of your server into a web browser and see.
Students, email Charlie Wallin at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Faculty, email John Bradley at email@example.com if you would like to talk about how you might use the VCL in your class.