The A-B Tech Mentoring program pairs Community Volunteers who have been successful in their academic and work careers with students who are looking for academic guidance and life lessons. Its goals are to guide and support first-generation and other college students at A-B Tech to achieve their educational objectives and successfully navigate the academic and cultural landscape of A-B Tech.
What can Mentoring do for you?
Mentors draw on their real-world experience to guide students in making the right choices in school, getting ahead in their careers, and developing social and soft skills. They serve as confidence boosters as well as role models. Mentors act as sounding boards for their students and provide practical feedback. They share ideas, communicate knowledge, identify useful resources, and help clarify educational, personal and professional goals.
Mentors will help you:
- Identify strengths, challenges, and opportunities available to reach academic and personal goals.
- Assistance in goal setting and creating pathways to success.
- Navigate the cultural landscape of college.
- Develop better study skills.
- Explore career options.
- Develop tools to best balance school, family and work commitments.
- Meet once a month in person and weekly via text, email or phone with your mentor.
- Commit to at least three months of mentorship.
- Work with your Mentor to identify goals and develop actions steps.
- Be open to listening, and accepting guidance.
- Attend the end of year celebration luncheon.
How can I join the Program?
A-B Tech students who are enrolled in curriculum-based classes and are 18 years of age or older can apply to the program. The Program runs year round. Mentor are matches based on the availability of suitable mentors.
- Complete a Mentee Profile/Application Form
- Attend a Mentee Orientation