Central Sterile Processing
The Central Sterile Processing course consists of 175 hours taught in two parts over a total of sixteen weeks. The spring course begins on January 7, 2019 and ends April 9, 2019. The course meets on both Mondays and Tuesdays. Students who successfully complete the course will be eligible to take the SPD (Sterile Processing and Distribution) Technician Exam administered by the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc.
Registration is in person in Room 308.1 at the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development. You will need to bring the following in order to register:
- Demonstration of college level reading proficiency by passing the formerly called the Accuplacer. Study guides can be located on the A-B Tech website at https://www.abtech.edu/testing-center/prepare-placement-testing (scores are good for five years). Placement test scheduling and testing occurs in the Simpson building.
- Your high school diploma or GED.
- Government issued, signature bearing, non-expired, photo identification.
After completing the registration forms in the Health Occupations office and making payment for the course, you are conditionally registered for the course. You will be given information to complete mandatory requirements needed to begin the course. The following items must be completed.
- Purchase of the Medical Records Tracker through CastleBranch
- Immunizations loaded to CastleBranch Medical Record Tracker
- TB skin test or T-spot with a negative result (good for one year)
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine series (2 shots) or positive blood titer result
- Varicella vaccine series (2 shots) or positive blood titer result
- Influenza vaccine (quad) for current year (available in egg-free and preservative-free)
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) or Td (tetanus, diphtheria) vaccine in last ten years
- Hepatitis B vaccine series x 3, positive blood titer result, or signed declination
Immunizations and/or titer costs vary depending on your history. Vaccine records can usually be obtained from your pediatrician, health department where you received them or the education board where you attended high school.
- A current physical exam loaded to CastleBranch Medical Record Tracker (using the A-B Tech physical exam document that will be provided at registration).
The physical exam form and access to Castle-Branch will be provided upon program acceptance. The Fast Med Health Clinic in Biltmore Village offers physical exams for A-B Tech Health care students at a cost of $45. Call 828-210-2835 for appointments.
- Purchase of and completion of the HIPAA (Health Insurance and Portability Act) and OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) training courses through CastleBranch.
You will also be required to complete the following:
A background check and drug screening through CastleBranch
Backgrounds and drug screens NOT completed by the deadline will result in your being ineligible to take this course. Please be advised that in order to complete this course, you must be approved by Mission Hospital (who will verify all of your CastleBranch information). Once they have approved and accepted your information, they will send you an email with the next steps to on-boarding to their facility.
Lastly, you will be required to provide the following no later than January 7:
Proof of completion of the Moodle Orientation Course to Teresa Robinson (after you have been provided access)
If you have any questions before the information session, call 828-398-7878. We look forward to meeting you and guiding you in your quest to further your education and expand your health care career opportunities!