Natural Products Laboratory analytical and quality assurance testing services:
Botanical Constituent Quantification
These methods are material-specific and may require purchase of a reference standard:
- Berberine and hydrastine in goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) by HPLC
- Triterpene glycosides in black cohosh (Actaea racemosa) by HPLC and evaporative light scattering detection
- Catechins in green tea (Camellia sinensis) by HPLC
- Alkaloids in kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) by HPLC
- Alpha and beta acids in hops or hop extracts (Humulus lupulus) by UV-Vis spectrophotometry or HPLC
- Essential oil qualitative profile by GC
- Total anthocyanins: Estimation via pH-differential reaction
- Total flavonoids: Estimation as rutin equivalents via an aluminum chloride reaction
- Total phenolics: Estimation as gallic acid equivalents with the Folin-Ciocalteau method
- Antioxidant activity: Estimation as vitamin C equivalents by DPPH free radical quenching
Other Product or Plant Material QA/QC Testing
- Ash and acid-insoluble ash
- Moisture content
- Water activity
- Total aerobic microbial count
- Total yeast and mold count
- Quantification of UV filters in cosmetic formulations
Craft Beverage Analysis
- Beer, cider, and kombucha: Alcohol by volume, caloric content, haze, CO2 and O2 content, specific gravity, and real and apparent degree of fermentation (Anton-Paar instrumentation)
- Beer: Bitterness units, pH, total acidity
- Kombucha: Titratable acidity, pH, color, alcohol by volume
- Spirits: Alcohol by volume
- Wine: Titratable acidity, alcohol by volume
- Caffeine content in kombucha, tea, yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis), or cassina (Yaupon tea, Ilex vomitoria)
- Microbiological screening for aerobic and anaerobic organisms, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and wild yeast
- Other tests including foam collapse rate, total VDK, total solids, and ash content
Method Development, Feasibility, & Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
Our method development choices are typically based on our clients’ requests. If you have a project you would like to pursue that has not previously been performed in our lab, the following fees will apply:
- Per hour development fee: This will cover development and adaptation to our equipment. The development of SOPs for your procedure(s) is available upon request and will be billed at the same rate.
- Per hour equipment use fee: This will cover associated equipment use costs.
- Materials use fee: This will cover any materials necessary to develop and run the method.
- Per sample pricing: The cost per sample is determined once your method has been established.
Pricing for previously-developed methods is based on the laboratory’s cost to complete the analysis. Calibration standards, where required, are often an expensive component to the overall cost. Our costs decrease when we can do projects with multiple samples submitted at one time or regularly over a given period. Please contact us for method availability and pricing before submitting samples.
If our method development services are desired, please contact us to discuss your specific needs and obtain a quote for the requested work. We are often able to expand our services by working on new projects. If you don’t see what you’re looking for here, ask us about method development.
The lab also offers laboratory rental for research and development or quality control testing.