New Student Enrollment Information
Steps for enrolling at A-B Tech to take Curriculum Courses (college credit).
Apply to A-B Tech
- Go to abtech.edu/apply to complete a general College application. Returning A-B Tech students who have been out more than two consecutive semesters should complete a new College application.
Complete New Student Orientation (NSO)
- Approximately 24 hours after completing your College application, you should receive an email containing your student ID number. Once you've received this information, please contact us at 828-398-7700 to schedule a date and time to complete NSO at A-B Tech Madison. NSO will include a SmarterMeasure Online Readiness assessment. This assessment is done to assess students' readiness to take 100% online classes. NSO and SmarterMeasure must be completed before a student is eligible to register for classes.
Complete Placement Testing
- North Carolina Diagnostic Assessment and Placement (NC-DAP) testing is required for students applying for admission into all degree and diploma programs. Students who are unclassified (not desiring to be enrolled in a program) will need to take the placement test if they desire to take a mathematics, English, reading course or any course for which math or English are requisites. To schedule testing at A-B Tech Madison, please call 828-398-7700. Students are strongly advised to study and prepare for testing prior to testing. Study guide information will be shared further down on this page. For information on placement options (i.e., submission of acceptable SAT and/or ACT scores, etc.), please go to abtech.edu/placement.
Select an Academic Program
- Submit transcript(s) from other colleges attended if transfer credit is desired.
- Meet with a staff member at A-B Tech Madison (or a College Entry Advisor in the K. Ray Bailey Student Services Center on the main campus in Asheville). For advising at A-B Tech Madison, give us a call at 828-398-7700 to schedule a date/time. For help determining which program to select, explore our online Career Coach tool at abtech.emsicareercoach.com or contact Career Services here .
- To see a full list of academic programs offered by A-B Tech Community College, click here.
Apply for Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov and include A-B Tech's school code (004033). Be sure to regularly check your A-B Tech Student Email account for any additional requests or updates from the Financial Aid Office. For additional details, visit abtech.edu/financial-aid.
Need Help? We're here to help, so give us a call at 828-398-7700 or drop by A-B Tech Madison to see us!
Placement Testing Study Guide
Preparation for Testing - the following sites are available to assist with test preparation:
- KHAN Academy http://www.khanacademy.org
- Study Skills from Dartmouth College http://www.dartmouth.edu/~acskills/success/study.html
- Test-taking Tips from Study Guides and Strategies http://www.studygs.net/tsttak1.htm
- Reading Tips (also from Study Guides and Strategies) http://studygs.net/reading.htm
- Writer Placer Guide with Sample Essays http://professionals.collegeboard.com
You-Tube Training Videos - Arithmetic/Elementary Algebra
Go to http://www.youtube.com and search using the following topics:
- Operations with Integers
- Fractions and Decimals
- Expressions, Linear Equations, Linear Inequalities
- Graphs and Equations of Lines
- Polynomials and Quadratic Applications
- Additional assistance may be found at https://www.mathsisfun.com/index.htm
Diagnostic and Placement Test Sample Questions - Reading/Sentence Skills/Arithmetic/Elementary Algebra
*Remember, once you're ready for testing give us a call at 828-398-7700 to schedule testing at A-B Tech Madison!