High School Equivalency Classes (formerly GED)
All students must attend orientation prior to starting classes. Orientation is held at A-B Tech Madison on Tuesday afternoons; however, students must contact the A-B Tech Department of Transitional Studies (D.O.T.S.) representative at 828-398-7891 to schedule an orientation session time. Students should plan to attend classes on the Thursday of the same week they attend orientation.
- Classes are available on Tuesday and Thursdays, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. There is no cost to attend HSE classes.
- Self-paced study; regular attendance is required.
- Students 16 & 17 years old are subject to NCDMV Dropout Prevention/Driver's License Guidelines (HB 769, Effective August 1, 1998). Minor Permission Forms are required. These forms can be picked up from the A-B Tech Madison office and must be completed/returned three days prior to the scheduled orientation date. More information will be provided when you speak with the D.O.T.S. representative to schedule orientation. Please note: North Carolina requires all minors who have a NC driver's license (or intend to get one) to attend 60 class hours per month. In order to meet this requirement, you will have to attend full class sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Tests include Reasoning Through Language Arts, Reading, Science, Social Studies, and Math.
- An appointment will be scheduled when a student is certified to take the HSE testing. There is a fee of $20 per test.