Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College provides campus network and computing facilities including Internet access for the use of faculty, staff, students, and other authorized individuals in support of the research, educational, and administrative purposes of the College.
The College has extensive information technology resources and systems available for both instruction and administrative applications. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to become familiar with College technology resources and systems and to use them on a regular basis. Users are expected to exercise responsible, ethical behavior when using these resources and to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Information available on the Internet is not generated or selected by the College. Therefore, the College assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or quality of the information obtained through or stored on the campus network.
- While the College respects First Amendment rights with regard to the Internet, the creation, display and transmittal of illegal, malicious, or obscene materials or fighting words is prohibited.
- The College is not liable for the actions of anyone connecting to the Internet through College facilities. All users assume liability for their own actions.
- The user is responsible for complying with laws protecting software or other accessed information. Downloading programs and files may violate United States copyright laws that protect information and software. All files downloaded from a source external to the College must be scanned for viruses. All users of the Internet by way of College facilities must comply with all relevant policies and procedures of the College.
- Because of the unsecure nature of transmitting files electronically, no right to privacy exists with regard to e-mail, Internet sessions, or electronic file storage and transmission.
- Anonymous e-mails or postings are expressly prohibited.
- Users should be aware that usage statistics in archived log files, used for monitoring system performance and usage patterns, are maintained by the College concerning computer and telephone facilities.
- College employees may make reasonable use of the College network, e-mail, and the Internet as long as the direct measurable cost to the public is negligible, and there is no negative impact on the employee’s performance of duties.
- All users of the Internet by way of College facilities must comply with all relevant policies and procedures of the Board of Trustees.
- Use of the campus network, including e-mail and Internet, for personal gain is prohibited.
- Failure to comply with any of the provisions of this procedure will result in disciplinary action as provided for under the disciplinary policies and procedures for both students and employees.
The College provides access to the Internet by way of the North Carolina Integrated Information Network. All users are subject to the governing policies established by the North Carolina Information Resource Management Commission (IRMC), in addition to this College policy. The current IRMC policy governing the use of the North Carolina Integrated Information Network and the Internet can be reviewed on the Website at www.scio.nc.gov/mission/itPoliciesStandards.aspx.