Transfer Credit, Credit-by-Exam, Articulated Credit, CLEP and Advanced Placement Credit, Continuing Education and Licensure Credit

No more than 75% of credits required for a degree, diploma or certificate program may be awarded through alternative credit options listed in this section. To complete a degree, diploma or certificate program, the student must successfully complete 25% of the required credit hours for the respective program though A-B Tech curriculum coursework.

Transfer Credit from Other Institutions 

Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College will accept credit transfer from institutions recognized by a regional accrediting agency. A-B Tech will also consider transfer credit from non-regionally accredited institutions of higher education for only career and technical courses if the institution is accredited by an organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Transcripts must be unopened and officially issued by the credit granting institution. Credit may be awarded for appropriate military courses. Students must submit a curriculum application before transfer credit is evaluated. Credit obtained outside the U.S. or any U.S. Territory must be evaluated by an educational credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Students should contact for more information. 

Only grades of “C” or better will be considered for transfer. College-level courses awarded the grade of “Pass” at another institution will only be transferred to A-B Tech if it is clear that the grade of “Pass” indicates a grade of C or better of if A-B Tech offers that particular course only as Pass/Fail. Credits will be evaluated in the context of the current catalog. The Office of Records and Registration in consultation with Department Chairs will determine the appropriate A-B Tech course credit to award. Some departments may require a skills assessment before transfer credit is awarded. In such cases the decision of the department is final. 

Credit will be assigned without quality points and will not be calculated into the student’s A-B Tech grade point average. If a transferred course is also taken at A-B Tech, the local grade will be calculated in the grade point average. 

Credit by Examination (Proficiency Testing) 

Students who can provide tangible evidence of preparation to challenge a course, such as a transcript of similar college-level credits, record of military study, certification or license, standardized test scores or written statements from employers regarding training or directly related work experience indicating that they may be proficient in a subject, may request credit by examination.  A written request must be made to the appropriate department chairperson on a form obtained from the Office Records & Registration.  This test must be administered immediately after the 10 percentage point of the class in the semester.

Examinations are comprehensive and must be approved by the supervisor of the instructor administering the exam. The examination may be oral, performance, written, or a combination of these methods. To receive credit by examination, the score must be above average (“A” or “B”). A grade of “A” or “B” will be posted on the transcript of the student who successfully completes the examination. The decision of the examining instructor is final. 

No student may request a second test for Credit by Examination in the same course or request Credit by Examination in a course after receiving any recorded grade for that course. Exceptions must be approved by the Vice President of Instructional Services. 


  1. Enroll as a credit student in the course to be challenged and pay tuition. There is no extra charge for full-time students who are taking at least 16 credit hours of non self-supporting coursework. 
  2. Present evidence of proficiency, complete the written request form, and have the request approved prior to the 10 percent point of the semester (or 10 percent of the minimester session). 
  3. Remain enrolled and attend class until the examination is administered. During this period, students who have written approval for the exam may attend class without purchasing textbooks and materials. If books are purchased and returned for refund, they must be in new condition. 
  4. Students who are very confident of passing the exam may request a course overload. 
  5. Students who perform on the exam at a level sufficient to get credit may leave the course and will be awarded a grade of “A” or “B” for the course. Receiving credit does not entitle the student to a tuition refund. Students who do not achieve an “A” or “B” on the proficiency exam are encouraged to remain in the class as a regular student. 
  6. 6. Students who receive financial assistance of any type are required to inform the director of their assistance program that they are seeking credit by exam. Assistance may be reduced and reimbursement will be required if the course load is reduced by receiving credit by examination. 

Any exceptions to these procedures must have prior written approval by the appropriate Department Chairperson, Division Dean, and the Vice President of Instructional Services.

Articulated Credit 

College credit may be awarded for high school courses if conditions of the North Carolina High School to Community College Articulation Agreement or Regional Articulation in Career Education (RACE) are met. Students must see the Records and Registration office in the K. Ray Bailey Student Services Center. 

Advanced Placement and CLEP Credit 

Advanced Placement (AP) scores of 3 or higher will be used to grant college equivalent credit. CLEP scores of 50 or higher will be considered for awarding college credit. 

Licensure and Certification Credit 

A-B Tech awards curriculum credit for select licensure and certifications. Contact your Advisor or Department Chair for information. 

Continuing Education 

Continuing education credits may be considered for curriculum course equivalency. The Department Chairperson responsible for the respective course, or his/her designee, must approve the awarding of credit for continuing education coursework. Such approval will include a review of the continuing education work to ensure that course outcomes are met.  The student must be enrolled in a program of study for which the respective course is included. 

CR (equivalency credit) will be assigned for the curriculum course. The course will be used to satisfy requisites and applied toward completion of any and all programs containing the course. Continuing education credit may not be used once the respective curriculum course has been attempted at the College.