Consistent with Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College’s commitment to student success, the general education program provides students with a knowledge base of historical, societal, and environmental contexts for succeeding in the changing global community. The general education program represents a full spectrum of English composition, communication, and literature; humanities and fine arts; social and behavioral sciences; natural sciences; chemistry and physics; mathematics; and related elective components.
The purposes of the general education program are to facilitate student acquisition and sharing of knowledge, to encourage social interaction, and to promote an educated citizenry. General education courses develop broad, cross-curriculum knowledge and skill sets that prepare the student to successfully master the challenges of post-graduation endeavors,
Upon successful completion of the general education requirements, the student will show achievement in each of the following competencies:
1. Reach logical conclusions through a critical and scientific thinking process.
2. Use computer technology for academic and professional purposes.
3. Communicate effectively based on purpose and audience.
4. Employ strategies of effective learning to enhance academic and professional success.
5. Evaluate data and ideas using mathematical thinking.
Associate Transfer Degrees
Associate in Arts
Associate in Engineering
Associate in Science
Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts
General Occupational Technology