- Financial Aid
- Class Schedules
Therapeutic Massage A.A.S.
Credential:Associate in Applied Science
The Therapeutic Massage curriculum prepares graduates to work in direct client care settings to provide manipulation, methodical pressure, friction and kneading of the body for maintaining wellness or treating alterations in wellness throughout the lifespan.
Courses will include content in normal human anatomy and physiology, therapeutic massage, ethical/legal issues, business practices, nutrition and psychology.
Employment opportunities include hospitals/rehabilitation centers, health departments, home health, medical offices, nursing homes, spas/health/sports clubs, and private practice. Graduates may be eligible to take the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam or the National Certification for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork.
The Mountain Tech Spa, an on-campus spa facility located in the Birch Building, provides practical experience for Therapeutic Massage students under the direction of College faculty.
Specific Program Requirements
1. General college admission requirements.
2. Current CPR certification is required by the end of the first semester of study and must be maintained throughout the program.
3. Completion of the Student Medical Form documenting immunization history, medical history, and assessment of the applicant’s physical and emotional ability to participate in the activities in a clinical setting.
4. Completion of required Hepatitis B vaccine. First dose to be completed by the first day of class. Second Hepatitis B vaccine to be completed at least one month after the first dose. Third dose must be completed six months after the first dose.
5. Clinical facilities may require a criminal background check and/or drug testing prior to participation in the clinical/co-op component. In addition, national and/or state licensure boards may prohibit eligibility for licensure based on criminal records. Licensure is required to practice as a massage therapist in North Carolina. Please refer to the North Carolina Massage and Bodywork Therapy Practice Act, ARTICLE 36 of CHAPTER 90 of the NORTH CAROLINA GENERAL STATUES (90-629.1) www.bmbt.org.
6. Interview with Department Chair of Spa Therapies and Operations.
Courses requiring a grade of “C” or better: ACA, BIO, BUS, CIS, COE, MTH and PSY