- Financial Aid
- Class Schedules
Surgical Technology A.A.S.
Credential:Associate in Applied Science
The Surgical Technology curriculum prepares individuals to assist in the care of the surgical patient in the operating room and to function as a member of the surgical team.
Students will apply theoretical knowledge to the care of patients undergoing surgery and develop skills necessary to prepare supplies, equipment, and instruments; maintain aseptic conditions; prepare patients for surgery; and assist surgeons during operations.
Employment opportunities include labor/delivery/emergency departments, inpatient/outpatient surgery centers, dialysis units/facilities, physicians’ offices, and central supply processing units.
Students of programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) are required to take the national certification exam administered by the National Board on Certification in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) within a four-week period prior to or after graduation.
- General College admission requirements.
- This program has a competitive selection process. See Selection Criteria and Procedures for Allied Health Programs on the College Admissions Office web page for full details.
- Final admission to the Surgical Technology program shall be contingent upon documentation of physical and emotional health that would provide evidence indicative of the applicant’s ability to provide safe care to the public.
- Satisfactory completion of required immunizations.
- Current CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification is a prerequisite to admission and must be maintained throughout the program.
- Clinical agencies and/or credentialing bodies require criminal background checks and drug screens prior to admission to clinical sites or issuance of credentials.
- Students applying to the Surgical Technology program are encouraged to have successfully completed: ACA 115, BIO 163 (or BIO 168 and BIO 169), BIO 175, CIS 110, and ENG 111 prior to program admission due to the rigorous nature of the Surgical Technology curriculum.
The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756, www.caahep.org, Phone: 727-210-2350, Fax: 727-210-2354, through the Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC-STSA), 6 W. Dry Creek Circle, Suite #110, Littleton, CO 80120, Phone: 303-694-9262,
Fax: 303-741-3655 http://www.arcstsa.org/.
Courses requiring a grade of “C” or better: ACA, BIO, SUR