My A-B Tech
Process For Applying For Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
Short Term Training Funding
Must be over 18 yrs old and a Buncombe County Resident
- Prepare for taking the North Carolina Career Readiness (NCCRC) assessments by registering for the Career Ready 101 at Job Club in the Maple Bldg M-F 8:30–12:30.
- NAI Only. Take the TABE Reading Test in Hemlock Bldg. room 322. Must have at least 9th grade level. Tues. 9-12; Thurs. 1-5; Fri. 10-2.
- Take the North Carolina Career Readiness Certification (NCCRC) WorkKeys assessments. There is a $20 charge for this test that funding is unable to cover.
- Take either “Maximizing Interviewing Skills” class or complete Finding the Right Job, Effective Resumes, The Application Process, & Interviewing Skills under The Job Search in Career Ready 101.
- Take one of the free Computer Courses offered in the Continuing Education Department of A-B Tech located in the Hemlock Bldg. or test out of this requirement.
If you have any questions or concerns about the funding process, availability of funds, etc. call Marie Eller at
398-7833 or email at email@example.com.
- AFTER you complete the above and BEFORE you call Marie Eller, WIA Counselor, to set up an appointment, you must have:
- Scores from your North Carolina Career Readiness Certificate.
- Certificates of completion from one of the Continuing Education courses (Pathways to Employment or Maximizing Interviewing Skills) and the computer course/test out.
- Current government issued Photo ID
- Verification of current address (i.e. utility bill)
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- Income verification (pay stubs, bank statement, etc)
- Food Stamp and/or Work First verification if applicable
- All male applicants born after 1960, unless exempt by law, must be registered with Selective Service within the allowable time. This can be verified during appointment.
- Verification of lay-off, if appropriate (lay-off letter, unemployment benefit letter, etc.)
- Call Marie Eller at 398-7833 to make an appointment.
For Nurse Aide I:
For information on upcoming NAI registrations, please call 398-7600.
- Before registration you need current TB test results. A TB Test can be obtained from your doctor or by going to the Buncombe County Health Dept., paying $19.00 and returning 48-72 hours later to have your test read. The test is only available on certain days.
- NAI does not allow any absences or tardies during the first 42 hours. Arrange backup childcare and transportation.