- Financial Aid
- Class Schedules
Medical Assisting Overview
We will begin accepting applications March 1, 2013. All deadlines and requirements must be met to be eligible to apply.
Summary of Application Period and Process:
- Apply to A-B Tech online at abtech.edu/apply
- Meet with an advisor in the Bailey Building between March 1, 2013 and April 5, 2013 to document eligibility (see below) and receive permission to take the TEAS exam. Distance student services also available for students living out-of-area. Please call 398-7586 for assistance or contact DAdvising@abtech.edu.
- Complete the TEAS exam no later than April 19, 2013
- Receive notification of admissions status in late April
- Graduation from high school or completion of the GED or Adult High School is required. Students currently enrolled in high school must be planning to graduate before August 18, 2013. Current GED students must be planning to complete the GED by August 18, 2013.
- Score at college level on the Accuplacer Placement test or other approved placement assessment (scores must be less than three years old), complete all developmental coursework prior to April 15, 2013 or have transfer credit for college English and math (official transcripts must be submitted). Enrollment in a college level course using Informed Consent does NOT meet the minimum requirements.
- Qualified applicant MUST meet with an academic advisor between March 1, 2013 and April 5, 2013 in order to be eligible to take the TEAS exam. Distance student services also available for students living out-of-area. Please call 398-7586 for assistance or contact DAdvising@abtech.edu. After a student has been deemed eligible to apply to one of the programs, the applicant will be given a ticket to TEAS and provided registration instructions. The student will then need to register online and pay ($45) for the TEAS. The TEAS Version V exam will be offered on the A-B Tech campus. The deadline to take the TEAS is April 19, 2013. Applicants will be ranked using the TEAS Version V composite test score combined with an additional 5 points for all Buncombe and Madison County residents. All students will be notified by the department chair in late April regarding admission.
Medical Assisting Program at AB Technical Community College: Accredited by CAAHEP.
Medical Assistants Are In Demand!
Medical assisting is one of the nation's fastest growing careers through 2016, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. This can be attributed to a predicted surge in the number of physicians' offices and outpatient care facilities.
So... What Do Medical Assistants Actually Do?
Medical assistants have a great amount of variety in their jobs and are cross-trained to perform many administrative and clinical duties. Of course, duties vary from office to office depending on location, size and specialty.
Clinical Duties Include:
- Obtaining medical histories and vital signs
- Preparing patients for examination
- Assisting the physician during the exam
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests (CLIA waived)
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Perform venipuncture
- Perform electrocardiography
- Removing sutures and dressings changes
Administrative Duties Include:
- Use office hardware and software to maintain office systems
- Triage phone calls
- Greeting patients
- Updating and filing patient medical records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Manage appointment schedules
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handling correspondence
- Billing, bookkeeping, and account collections
How About The Salaries?
The earnings of medical assistants vary, depending on experience, skill level, and location. Median annual earnings of medical assistants were $30,834 in 2009. Those with less than one year experience earned $23932, while those with more than ten years + experience earned $34,917.