- Financial Aid
- Class Schedules
- Online Services
Weapons On Campus Policy
The Board of Trustees prohibits the use or possession of any weapons on A-B Tech property or at any College-sponsored activities or events except handguns as allowed by NC GS §14-269.4. Handguns are permitted under these circumstances:
- The person has a concealed handgun permit that is lawfully issued
- The handgun is in a closed compartment or container within the person's locked vehicle
- The handgun is in a locked container securely affixed to the person's vehicle.
- A person may unlock the vehicle to enter or exit the vehicle provided the handgun remains in the closed compartment at all times
- The vehicle is locked immediately following the entrance or exit.
The above criteria do not apply to persons and/or situations outlined in GS §14-269, such as sworn law enforcement officers.
Any person found to be in violation of this policy shall be disciplined at the discretion of the A-B Tech administration. Additionally, any person found to be in possession of any weapon will be charged under State law with a misdemeanor or a felony, as stipulated by GS §14-269.2(b) and §14-269.2(c). Upon conviction, a person will be adjudicated at the discretion of the court.
Weapon includes, but is not limited to: gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm; dynamite, cartridge, bomb, grenade, mine, firework or other explosive; BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, razors, razor blades, blackjack, metallic knuckles, any other weapon of like kind, such as sharp pointed or edged instruments and facsimiles of weapons.
Weapon excludes: tools, utensils, and equipment used solely for maintenance or instructional purposes (such as unaltered nail files and clips, dental tools, and tools used solely for preparation of food) or used for authorized ceremonial purposes on the A-B Tech campus, grounds, recreation areas, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by A-B Tech.