- Financial Aid
- Class Schedules
Internet and Campus Network Acceptable Use Policy
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College provides campus network and computing facilities including Internet access for the use of faculty, staff, students, and other authorized individuals in support of the research, educational, and administrative purposes of the College.
The College has extensive information technology resources and systems available for both instruction and administrative applications. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to become familiar with College technology resources and systems and to use them on a regular basis. Users are expected to exercise responsible, ethical behavior when using these resources and to adhere to the following guidelines:
1. The Internet and associated resources contain a wide variety of material and information. Information available on the Internet is not generated or selected by Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College. The College is not responsible for the accuracy or quality of the information obtained through or stored on the campus network.
2. The creation, display, or transmittal of illegal, malicious, or obscene material is prohibited.
3. Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College will not be liable for the actions of anyone connecting to the Internet through College facilities. All users shall assume full liability (legal, financial, or otherwise) for their actions.
4. The user is responsible for complying with laws protecting software or other accessed information. Downloading programs and files may violate United States copyright laws that protect information and software. Although the Internet provides easy access to software distributed by companies on a trial basis, this does not mean that the software is free or that it may be distributed freely. All files downloaded from a source external to the campus must be scanned for viruses.
5. Because of the insecure nature of transmitting files electronically, no right of privacy exists with regard to email, Internet sessions, or electronic file storage and transmission. When sending or forwarding email over the campus network or the Internet, users shall identify themselves clearly and accurately. Anonymous or pseudonymous posting is expressly forbidden.
6. Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College computing and telephone facilities maintain usage statistics in archived log files for the purpose of monitoring system performance and usage patterns. Users must not perform tasks they would not want logged.
7. College employees may make reasonable personal use of the campus network, email, and the Internet as long as the direct measurable cost to the public is none or is negligible, and there is no negative impact on employee’s performance of duties.
8. All users of the Internet by way of College facilities must comply with all relevant policies and procedures of the College.
9. Use of the Internet for commercial gain or profit is not allowed from a College site.
Failure to comply with any of these provisions will result in disciplinary action as provided for under the disciplinary policies and procedures of the College.
A-B Tech provides access to the Internet by way of the State of North Carolina Wide Area Network. As such, all users are subject to the governing policies established by the North Carolina State Chief Information Officer in addition to the above A-B Tech Internet and Campus Network Acceptable Use Policy. The current policy governing use of the North Carolina Wide Area Network and the Internet can be reviewed at: